The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 807 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.15 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 807 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Referring to files in the initial RAM disk
2019-11-29, 09:25
Referring to files in the initial RAM disk
Hi iPXE Gurus,

I'm using python's pycdlib to create a bootable ISO that uses isolinux as its boot loader and was excited to find that I can have ipxe.lkrn load my "embedded" script from the initial RAM disk created by my isolinux.cfg as follows:

Code:
SAY iPXE ISO boot image
TIMEOUT 30
DEFAULT ipxe.lkrn
LABEL ipxe.lkrn
KERNEL ipxe.krn
APPEND initrd=embed.ipx

This saves me having to compile an embedded script into the ipxe.lkrn binary making it far easier for me to change the embedded script on the fly.

When ipxe.lkrn loads from the ISO it magically reads the contents of embed.ipx from the initial RAM disk created by isolinux. Happy Days! I have beautiful menus and prompts.

However, I was wondering if I can use the same technique to refer to a background image and somehow combine this technique with the ipxe "console --picture [uri]" command in my embedded ipxe script?

For example, I can place both the embedded script and the background.png in the initial RAM disk by using comma separated file references in the isolinux.cfg:

Code:
SAY iPXE ISO boot image
TIMEOUT 30
DEFAULT ipxe.lkrn
LABEL ipxe.lkrn
KERNEL ipxe.krn
INITRD embed.ipx,background.png

I can see the ipxe kernel, the embedded script and the background.png successfully load into the initial RAM disk but I just can't seem to figure out how to refer to the background.png file (or in fact any files on the initial RAM disk) with ipxe commands.

Any words of advice or wisdom hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Doug

P.S. I will look into using Joliet or Rock Ridge or UDF ISO extensions so that I don't have to use those stupid 8.3 DOS naming conventions soon Rolleyes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Referring to files in the initial RAM disk - dscoular@gmail.com - 2019-11-29 09:25

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)