Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
request compiled efi binaries
2012-03-22, 05:55
request compiled efi binaries
Just wondering if someone could

make bin-i386-efi/ipxe.efi
make bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi

and share with me. Having a hard time compiling these on a unbuntu standard install which is complaining about dependancies and syntax errors after I hunt down the dependancies, try different distros etc..

Would be very helpful.

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-03-22, 13:02
RE: request compiled efi binaries
(2012-03-22 05:55)ndogmail Wrote:  make bin-i386-efi/ipxe.efi
make bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi

and share with me. Having a hard time compiling these on a unbuntu standard install which is complaining about dependancies and syntax errors after I hunt down the dependancies, try different distros etc..

No problem; give me your e-mail address and I'll send them through. (I can't upload them to the forum due to filetype restrictions.)

What problems are you having building? I'd like to fix the problems (or just update the documentation) so that other people don't get caught by this in future.

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-03-27, 05:04
I was having the same compile error at this user - http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=2839
Using ubuntu 11.04 (I'm using) downloaded the binutils-dev package however getting this error
Code:
[HOSTCC] util/elf2efi32
util/elf2efi.c: In function ‘write_pe_file’:
util/elf2efi.c:640:4: warning: format ‘%lx’ expects type ‘long unsigned int’, but argument 3 has type ‘UINT32’
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [util/elf2efi32] Error 1

I will also need to compile a 64bit driver, which this distro is not. Maybe you can recommend a better distro?

Please email the files to me at pxemenu@smartcom.co.nz - Thanks!
2012-03-27, 20:11
I usually use Fedora Core 16 64bit running in a VMWare Player VM. 32&64bit ipxe.efi compile without any problems.

ndogmail - are you looking at the efi's to run on an actual EFI Bios machine or for Apple iMac/Macbook work? I'd be interested in hearing how you go if it's the Apple EFI side. I spent a few weeks trying to get it working, but the Macs just didn't recognise them as valid EFI binaries.

Thx.
Jp.
2012-03-28, 04:04
I will try with ferdora core 16 64bit later on.

Yes the idea is to make a bootable EFI usb pen (for Macbook) to launch iPXE. Have a few sites that I am testing this, the idea being boot from a USB pen in order to initiate pxe booting to our pxelinux menu. Currently we boot from a bootable CD (isolinux) and select ipxe option. This boots ipxe on macbooks which then finds the pxemenu. We can run clonezilla to do imaging or launch linux distros like parted magic.

It will be interesting if pxelinux actually supports EFI. If it doesn't work then I will try later and continue to use the ipxe from boot CD option.
2012-03-28, 07:24
I'd definitely be interested in hearing how you go with it. The last time I looked at it some of the initial hurdles were getting the boot loader to recognise it.
If you rename/copy the file to usb as:
/efi/boot/bootx86.efi - for 32bit
/efi/boot/bootia64.efi - for 64bit

The system should recognise the thumbdisk as a boot option, but I wasn't successful in actually getting it to execute the binary correctly. Also depending on the macs it could be either 32bit or 64bit based. I had better success with getting it to load a grub2 efi binary, but couldn't get it to bootstrap into the iPXE afterwards - from memory it reported zImage not supported for the binary. Also the Mac binaries are apparently universal binaries with 32bit & 64bit combined into one file.

It's been a couple of months since i had a decent crack at it, but it's something I'd like to resolve eventually. From memory I also recall having some issues with keyboard/mouse support after the initial iPXE load since i use a syslinux menu/memdisk method rather than direct load to clonezilla etc.

Once you get past compiling the binaries i'd be happy to colaborate on it time providing to see if it's doable.

Jp

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)