Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
usage of imgfree for linux boot
2012-04-09, 07:41
usage of imgfree for linux boot
Hello, my account is unblocked so now i finally can spam. Well, kidding, sorry.

Yesterday i spend some time with booting a linux installer. Normally you want to load the kernel and the initrd and then boot.
so first i just tried
kernel linux
initrd initrd
but it failed booting ending with a kernel panic. it complained about the unavailability of the ramdisk which i loaded previously.
I tried different setups; loading initrd in first place or loading it via script with different options. two lines or one line with "append" option to the kernel.
everything failed, so i downloaded the vmlinuz and initrd from the demo-page fo php and copied the script, changed it to my configuration.
Still it did not work :/
After some searching i found that i had to use "imgfree". so before doing so i used "imgstat" to see what would the purpose be. So i found the is next to the kernel and ramdisk a script loaded with 28bytes,
What is it? i just assume kernel is loading whatever there is next to it, tries loading the script as initrd, but fails. If i used imgfree, the ramdsik can be loaded.
I wondered if it could be the embedded script but it has 150bytes already (which is quite easy).

Please let me know what the purpose and origin of the script is Smile

Thanks and have a nice easter.

Markus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-10, 14:41
RE: usage of imgfree for linux boot
If you use relative paths in your command line, it means the files are loaded from the base location you loaded ipxe from, most likely a tftp server described by your DHCP server.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-04-11, 00:15
(2012-04-10 14:41)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  If you use relative paths in your command line, it means the files are loaded from the base location you loaded ipxe from, most likely a tftp server described by your DHCP server.
Well, yes. Just i would like to know why the output "imgstat" gave me from a fresh ipxe load a 28byte script back. Huh
2012-04-11, 12:32
Most likely because the default embedded script is something like this:
Code:
#!ipxe
autoboot
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-04-11, 17:11
Hi, thanks for reply.
I wonder, where should it come from?

the only script i embedded was much larger (no commented stuff inside).

But currently, when i do same (i think same), like embedding a script, i cannot see any other scripts anymore when checking with imgstat.

(2012-04-11 12:32)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  Most likely because the default embedded script is something like this:
Code:
#!ipxe
autoboot

Regards

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)