• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loading kernel fails
2012-06-08, 18:20
Loading kernel fails
Hi guys,

In a traditional pxe boot the following files are loaded:
- initrd (initrd.gz)
- kernel (linux)

Using TFTP as the download protocol, using ipxe I created this script so dhcpd would read it and boot the previous files. The script looks like this:

#!ipxe
dhcp
initrd tftp://192.168.2.100/ubuntu-installer/i386/initrd.gz
kernel tftp://192.168.2.100/ubuntu-installer/i386/linux vga=78
boot

But since i'm trying to boot using SLAM, I can't find a way to boot both files since mini-slamd only accepts one file. The only file I can boot is the kernel, like this:

./mini-slamd /srv/tftp/X86PC/linux/linux

My linux directory has these files:
ls /srv/tftp/X86PC/linux/
initrd.gz, linux, pxelinux.0

Any way to boot this correctly ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-06-09, 10:36
RE: Loading kernel fails
(2012-06-08 18:20)r_b Wrote:  But since i'm trying to boot using SLAM, I can't find a way to boot both files since mini-slamd only accepts one file. The only file I can boot is the kernel, like this:

Firstly, I would recommend not using SLAM. You should get equivalent performance from multicast TFTP, which will be able to handle multiple files. Unless you are booting a very large number of nodes then it might be better to use unicast HTTP instead.

If you want to use SLAM, then you need to use wraplinux to wrap up the kernel and initrd into a single file.

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-06-10, 14:35
i realize everyone's preferences are different but why not just redo the kernel without initrd? i stopped using initrd 12 yrs ago and never looked back. that would satisfy the need of slam to load a single file and the kernel boots just as well without it.

just a thought.

Chuck
2012-06-11, 19:30
Just help me here,

I've been trying to find some documentation about the the wraplinux because I'm having trouble using it.

I should be using the tool like this: wraplinux -p linux <parameters> -i initrd.gz -N -o new_linux
But I can't figure out what parameters to use with the kernel, just like it says in the manual (-p 'kernel parameters')

Any ideias ?
2012-06-11, 21:17
Just figured it out Wink
Sorry guys

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)