Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPXE hangs on boot from pxelinux at first Ctrl-B
2013-04-14, 22:59 (This post was last modified: 2013-04-14 23:42 by Gelip.)
iPXE hangs on boot from pxelinux at first Ctrl-B
I build iPXE 10110009.rom for VPC 2007 & 10222000.rom for VMware pcnet32. Next inserted this to BINRES 13502 (VPC) & 6010 (VMware). Now test it with PXE server: TFTPD32 + pxelinux.0. The problem occurs only when I use Ctrl-B at the first appearance statement: Press Ctrl-B... and manually run the command autoboot.
In MS VirtualPC 2007 iPXE hangs at:
Code:
tftp://192.168.xxx.xxx/pxelinux.0… ok
In VMware Workstation 8 iPXE hangs at:
Code:
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/default
    Not enough memory to load specified image.
    boot:

iPXE boot normal without any problems from BIOS, other media or pressing Ctrl-B at second appearance statement. Maybe this is problem with INT13, INT18 or INT19 ?
First appearance: Press Ctrl-B to configure iPXE     <-- hangs up
Second appearance: Press Ctrl-B for the iPXE command line...     <-- working OK

Similar problem is with gPXE 1.0.1 inserted to BIOS AWARD 6.00PG. During pressing Ctrl-B at first appearance Press Ctrl-B... and autoboot command then vesamenu.c32 displays very slow :-(. If run gPXE normal or pressing Ctrl-B during second appearance Press Ctrl-B vesamenu.c32 working faster.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-04-15, 10:08
RE: iPXE hangs on boot from pxelinux at first Ctrl-B
You might want to compile your iPXE with some debug flags for some more insight. Which one, I'm uncertain. See information about how to set debug flags here: http://ipxe.org/download
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-04-15, 11:16
OK, I can build with DEBUG but how build? Is this is OK for SERIAL DEBUG?:
Code:
make bin/10110009.rom DEBUG=SERIAL
I understand that DEBUG info appears on the terminal over RS-232? Right?
2013-04-15, 12:23
(2013-04-14 22:59)ipxe Wrote:  The problem occurs only when I use Ctrl-B at the first appearance statement: Press Ctrl-B... and manually run the command autoboot.
iPXE boot normal without any problems from BIOS, other media or pressing Ctrl-B at second appearance statement.

This is expected behaviour. Pressing Ctrl-B at the first prompt ("Press Ctrl-B to configure iPXE") causes iPXE to run during POST. As the prompt suggests, this is intended for configuring iPXE: if you have a NIC which supports non-volatile options, then you can use the config command at this point. You may also be able to use iPXE for emergency system recovery by booting some kind of special recovery image, but you should not expect iPXE to work normally at this point, and you definitely should not expect it to be able to boot into a full OS.

On a separate note: I'm going to have to change your nickname; it's not really appropriate to have someone who isn't a developer on the project using the nickname "ipxe". Sorry about that.

Michael
2013-04-15, 12:46
OK, simply no need use Ctrl-B at first prompt and all working good.

P.S. I believe that the testers are just as important as programmers Confused. I like iPXE. I think that is an interesting project iPXE. I was the first on the forum and so I could set the nickname to iPXE.
2013-04-15, 13:12
(2013-04-15 12:46)tlusciec Wrote:  P.S. I believe that the testers are just as important as programmers Confused. I like iPXE. I think that is an interesting project iPXE. I was the first on the forum and so I could set the nickname to iPXE.

Sorry about that. It's not a reflection on "importance"; it's just that someone having the nickname "ipxe" looks as though they are speaking for the project in some official capacity.

Michael

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)