Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DHCP message configuration
2013-05-16, 12:40
RE: DHCP message configuration
(2013-05-16 12:10)Rickert Wrote:  I tried both undionly.kpxe and ipxe.pxe. ipxe.pxe is not compatible, while undionly.kpxe can only send DHCP messages (Discover and Request), but server returns no reply.

This is potentially a configuration problem on your server.

Quote:Only undionly.kkpxe works and the embedded script has "set use-cached 0"  I captured the packets on both case using tcpdump (I stopped when iPXE finished downloading all tftp files) and inspect them with Wireshark. 

According to what you say, iPXE should request everything from the server. However, I only got a subset of specified options in /etc/dhcpd.conf, because DHCP discover message only contains that many.

Is there any other solution? If not, then I guess the only way is to modify the code.

Two things:

If you are still seeing the "DHCP (....) ...using cached" message then iPXE is not issuing its own DHCP request, and everything else is therefore irrelevant until you fix that problem.

There is no (sensible) way for a DHCP client to request "all" options. iPXE requests all options that it understands (i.e. all options corresponding to named settings), plus all options mandated by the PXE spec including the site-local options. Any other options would simply be ignored anyway, since no code ever accesses them.

Could you provide some more specific detail on which options you consider to be missing?

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
DHCP message configuration - Rickert - 2013-05-15, 03:48
RE: DHCP message configuration - mcb30 - 2013-05-16 12:40

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)