Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot fails with No DHCP Root Path Option 17 found
2013-05-23, 22:24
Boot fails with No DHCP Root Path Option 17 found
Hello,

I own an ASUS P8Z77-V LX UEFI Board trying to boot directly from my
Intel 82574L Gigabit NIC ... although I specified the root path in dhcpd.conf it fails to detect the drive.

[Image: 2v965o7.jpg]

What can I do to fix it?

I posted my dhcpd.conf at pastebin: http://pastebin.com/5kwX2acx

best regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-05-25, 10:13 (This post was last modified: 2013-05-25 10:30 by robinsmidsrod.)
RE: Boot fails with No DHCP Root Path Option 17 found
You're using the Intel iSCSI boot support, not iPXE. You'll have to configure the root-path in your ISC DHCPd config according to "Intel iSCSI Remote Boot" specifications.

I found the IntelĀ® iSCSI Remote Boot pages where I downloaded the User Guide (PROINFO.zip). I then unpacked that one and opened up APPS/iSCSI/index.htm which indeed shows that the Intel iSCSI Remote boot agent uses the same syntax for the root-path as iPXE.

You have configured in your dhcpd.conf to only give out the root-path option to iPXE clients. Intel iSCSI Remote Boot is not iPXE, so it sees no root-path option. Remove the conditional and you should be set. Also make sure you provide a hostname, as the Intel iSCSI Remote boot client seems to need that as well.

I do wonder why you're using the Intel iSCSI Remote Boot agent instead of iPXE, though. If you switch your Intel adapter firmware to PXE mode (instead of iSCSI) and chainload iPXE you'll get all the benefits of iPXE scripting AND iSCSI in one package. It's your call. Just don't confuse the two of them. They're different pieces of software (that does the same thing).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-05-25, 17:34 (This post was last modified: 2013-05-25 17:48 by masterr-10da.)
(2013-05-25 10:13)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  You're using the Intel iSCSI boot support, not iPXE. You'll have to configure the root-path in your ISC DHCPd config according to "Intel iSCSI Remote Boot" specifications.

I found the IntelĀ® iSCSI Remote Boot pages where I downloaded the User Guide (PROINFO.zip). I then unpacked that one and opened up APPS/iSCSI/index.htm which indeed shows that the Intel iSCSI Remote boot agent uses the same syntax for the root-path as iPXE.

You have configured in your dhcpd.conf to only give out the root-path option to iPXE clients. Intel iSCSI Remote Boot is not iPXE, so it sees no root-path option. Remove the conditional and you should be set. Also make sure you provide a hostname, as the Intel iSCSI Remote boot client seems to need that as well.

I do wonder why you're using the Intel iSCSI Remote Boot agent instead of iPXE, though. If you switch your Intel adapter firmware to PXE mode (instead of iSCSI) and chainload iPXE you'll get all the benefits of iPXE scripting AND iSCSI in one package. It's your call. Just don't confuse the two of them. They're different pieces of software (that does the same thing).

thanks, robinsmidsrod,

I flashed back the intel rom to PXE. Unfortunately I can't flash iPXE directly with bootutil, I'm getting response "unknown image file".

Now I found a site describing the boot issues with booting windows 7 from iscsi. I set option routers to 0.0.0.0 and everything worked, but now I was trying to install windows 8 professional.

I'm getting a bluescreen.

Do you see something that's wrong with my config?

Quote:allow booting;
allow bootp;
ddns-update-style none;
log-facility local7;
default-lease-time -1;
max-lease-time 7200;
authoritative;
option space ipxe;
option ipxe-encap-opts code 175 = encapsulate ipxe;
option ipxe.keep-san code 8 = unsigned integer 8;
option ipxe.bus-id code 177 = string;

subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {
use-host-decl-names on;
range 10.0.0.64 10.0.0.88;
#option routers 10.0.0.124;

option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
option broadcast-address 10.0.255.255;
option root-path "10.0.0.124:/var/lib/tftpboot/";
next-server 10.0.0.124;
if not exists ipxe.bus-id {
filename "undionly.kpxe";
option routers 10.0.0.1;
} else {
filename "";
option root-path "iscsi:10.0.0.124:::0:iqn.2013-05.com.iscsi-server.host:windows";
option ipxe.keep-san 1;
option routers 0.0.0.0;
}
server-name "host";
server-identifier 10.0.0.124;
}

thanks again for your excellent work & support!!! this is a great project : )

update: activating debug I get BSOD with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" but only on windows 8,
as mentioned above windows 7 on iscsi is functional.

bR
Find all posts by this user
2013-05-26, 17:27
Unfortunately I can't help you out with Windows 8, as I haven't tried it yet. Glad to see that you got something working, though.

If you interested in a more extensive ISC DHCPD configuration that works well with iPXE flashed into firmware then this might interest you: https://gist.github.com/robinsmidsrod/4008017

And for completeness I can also link you at my menu example: https://gist.github.com/robinsmidsrod/2234639
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)