Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
booting/installing Solaris over HTTP
2013-06-17, 08:13 (This post was last modified: 2013-06-17 08:15 by robinsmidsrod.)
RE: booting/installing Solaris over HTTP
Okay, it seems we have multiple issues here.

In terms of building iPXE on Solaris, it _should_ work, but I don't think we have any regulars testing it. In your case, it seems like you have to get the appropriate GNU binaries into your path somehow (in front of the Solaris ones). It seems you're either missing some binaries for the toolchain, or you're having Solaris-style versions of them. Report back how it goes.

In terms of getting timeouts, I see you're using the bnx2 driver. This driver was being rewritten during last year's GSoC project, but it has stalled and is not yet merged. The page does say 5708 should work, so you might be inclined to test out that branch, although it is work-in-progress. My guess is that you're hitting some bug in the existing driver. The good thing is that we're (hopefully) having a hackathon soon where we plan on beating this code into submission. Meanwhile, I would suggest you try PXE chainloading instead with undionly.kpxe, as this will avoid using the iPXE bnx2 driver. See http://ipxe.org/howto/chainloading for details. Unfortunately, this will require you to set up a working DHCP/TFTP environment. It would be worthwhile to do this, just for testing, to verify if indeed it is the broken driver that is the cause of your problems, and not something else. I also notice that your RXE counter is quite high (almost as high as RX), which could indicate some kind of network issue or indeed a defective driver.

I just now noticed that your iPXE binary doesn't show a version number. Are you using an old version? If so, compile one yourself or get a prebuilt one from http://rom-o-matic.eu/.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: booting/installing Solaris over HTTP - robinsmidsrod - 2013-06-17 08:13

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)