Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invalid image file (Burning iPXE to Intel NIC)
2013-07-26, 23:33
Invalid image file (Burning iPXE to Intel NIC)
Hi!

After relocating my server, I got the brilliant idea that while it's down, I should update my iPXE flash on the Intel NIC, since the one I'm currently running is from 2011. Also, I wanted to replace the embedded script with a dynamic one loaded from a webserver.

Anyway, after 3 days of bashing my head against the wall, not being able to flash (burn) the latest iPXE to the NIC, I'm hoping someone here might have a few tips.

The issue I'm running into is that when I run BootUtil.exe with the following parameters:

bootutil -nic 1 -restoreimage -file 808610c9.rom

I get this error:

"Invalid image file 808610C9.ROM"

Now I've googled myself half to death, and did come over this thread. The thing about the size of the image file did ring a bell, and so I built a new one with less features, so that it's now at 61,440 bytes, which should be well below the 64KB limit. So I tried again, bit no luck. Still get the same error.

Then I tried using the older utility as suggested in the same thread, but that utility/version doesn't recognize my NIC (8086:10c9 - Intel 82576).

So I'm pretty much stuck now.

It's obviously possible to flash the 82576 with iPXE, as that's exactly what I have been using for the past couple of years, but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it, so again, any help or tips will be greatly appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-07-27, 01:47
RE: Invalid image file (Burning iPXE to Intel NIC)
You probably need to pad the image to exactly 64KB. Check the size of the original Intel ROM and make sure your iPXE ROM is the same size as the original Intel ROM. There is a tool called src/util/padimg.pl that does this easily for you. You might need to rip out some features by being a bit liberal with the #undefs in src/config/general.h (customize it in src/config/local/general.h).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-07-27, 02:37
Tried padding the image to exactly 64KB (--blksize 65536), but got the same error.

A little unsure of how I should go about getting the size of the original ROM. The images that come with PREBOOT are all packed in a BootIMG.FLB file, which appears to house several images (PXE, iSCSI, AoE, etc). Just making a guess here, going by the BootUtil helpfile.

Did a few google searches, which pointed to some utilities aimed at modding images for LG TV's, but they didn't seem to be able to extract the individual images from the FLB file.

Should perhaps mention that the NICs are a part of an ASUS Z8PE-D18 motherboard, it seems like that might complicate the matter somewhat, compared to a retail card from Intel. Not sure though...
2013-07-28, 03:36
Ah, finally remembered how I did it the last time, after putting the right keywords into google, and coming across this page:

http://etherboot.org/wiki/amibios

No wonder I couldn't flash the NIC ROM, as there is no dedicated flash for the NICs.

Oh well, I'm finally back on track.

Thanks for the help! =)
2013-07-28, 04:15
I seem to recall coming across this error with the newer version of the Intel utility. When I switched to using an older one, I didn't have an issue. iirc.
2013-07-29, 08:54
Crusnik01: Yes, Flashing an onboard network card means modding and reflashing your BIOS. That is usually a non-trivial exercise that might get you to brick your motherboard if you do something wrong. It is usually not advised.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-07-30, 02:37
(2013-07-28 03:36)Crusnik01 Wrote:  Ah, finally remembered how I did it the last time, after putting the right keywords into google, and coming across this page:

http://etherboot.org/wiki/amibios

No wonder I couldn't flash the NIC ROM, as there is no dedicated flash for the NICs.

Oh well, I'm finally back on track.

Thanks for the help! =)
Ah, I missed this.
If you feel adventurous, it is possible to replace the stock PXE ROM in the BIOS with iPXE (As noted in the URL). I've done it to several boxes, and (so far) haven't had any issues myself. That said, I did have a friend who's board went belly up with just a plain, un-modified update. At least it was socketed, and he was able to get another one off ebay.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)