Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sanboot Debian question
2013-11-10, 07:47
Sanboot Debian question
Hi!
Im trying to sanboot from an iSCSI target, using iPXE and Debian. My plan is, to setup a target on Debian, than from a client connect to it, than install a base Debian with debootstrap on that LUN, than install grub also. At iPXE should it work, only specifying something like sanboot iscsi:10.0.4.1:::1:iqn.2010-04.org.ipxe.dolphin:storage? Or should I place the kernel and the initrd on a TFTP server than specify where the root filesystem is?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-11-12, 15:46
RE: Sanboot Debian question
(2013-11-10 07:47)Renhy Wrote:  Im trying to sanboot from an iSCSI target, using iPXE and Debian. My plan is, to setup a target on Debian, than from a client connect to it, than install a base Debian with debootstrap on that LUN, than install grub also. At iPXE should it work, only specifying something like sanboot iscsi:10.0.4.1:::1:iqn.2010-04.org.ipxe.dolphin:storage? Or should I place the kernel and the initrd on a TFTP server than specify where the root filesystem is?

When SAN-booting using iPXE, you do not need to place the kernel+initrd on a separate TFTP (or other) server. iPXE hooks the iSCSI target as a virtual BIOS disk, and the copy of grub present on the iSCSI target disk then loads the kernel+initrd from the disk's own filesystem exactly as with a local hard disk boot.

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)