Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set ipxe.no-pxedhcp from script?
2013-12-19, 00:17
Set ipxe.no-pxedhcp from script?
I would like to optimize the iPXE boot process as described here (Speeding up DHCP). However, my DHCP server does not support custom option spaces and I therefore cannot set option 175.176 ipxe.no-pxedhcp in DHCP. I have searched through the configuration tool and have not been able to locate a setting that corresponds to this DHCP option. Is there any way to set no-pxedhcp from an ipxe script?

Rob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-12-20, 16:21
RE: Set ipxe.no-pxedhcp from script?
Yes, you can set it in a script, but that script will need to be an embedded script, or else the DHCP request from within ipxe has already been performed when you do it.

I don't quite remember how exactly the syntax for the option space is supposed to look, but it could be that this one should work:
Code:
set no-pxedhcp 1
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-12-20, 22:11
RE: Set ipxe.no-pxedhcp from script?
(2013-12-20 16:21)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  Yes, you can set it in a script, but that script will need to be an embedded script, or else the DHCP request from within ipxe has already been performed when you do it.

I don't quite remember how exactly the syntax for the option space is supposed to look, but it could be that this one should work:
Code:
set no-pxedhcp 1

I have been testing with iPXE 1.0.0+(8f01) by using <Ctrl+B> and then typing the commands manually. Correct me if I'm wrong but it should also work that way. (In final form I do plan on having an embedded script.) Using "set no-pxedhcp 1" followed by "dhcp net0" makes no difference in the amount of time for the DHCP request compared to just issuing "dhcp net0" immediately at the command prompt. The "no-pxedhcp setting doesn't show up in the configuration tool which made me suspect that there had to be some other way to accomplish this.

I have also tried:
Code:
set 175.176:hex 1
with a result of:
Code:
Could not store "175.176": Invalid argument (http://ipxe.org/1c112002)
and
Code:
set 175.176:string 1

with the same result as setting no-pxedhcp to 1. None of these options seem to affect the duration of the DHCP session at all.
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)