Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ISCSI boot by mac-addresss
2014-01-07, 20:35
ISCSI boot by mac-addresss
Hi, Is there a way/script for IPXE to present automicatically a specific ISCSI boot (target) depending the mac-address or ipaddress of the host?

thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-01-08, 08:38
RE: ISCSI boot by mac-addresss
Yes you can. You'll need to generate the sanboot URL dynamically, somewhat what I do here: https://gist.github.com/robinsmidsrod/22...u-ipxe-L95

Line 95-100 shows how you can use variables instead of static information in the URL. https://gist.github.com/robinsmidsrod/22...xe-cfg-L32 indicates how that variable, base-iscsi, is generated. The ${hostname} is provided directly from iPXE. You can use ${mac} or ${ip} in the same way.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-01-15, 05:09
Thanks!! it worked in a virtual environment. Now the problem is that when trying to run the ipxe script on a machine (Gigabyte motherboard with dual realtek nic) it disconnects the iscsi lun (sanhook) after some time before installing an OS (ESXi) . Is there something that I need to change in the bios? legacy options? etc
2014-01-19, 23:04 (This post was last modified: 2014-01-19 23:05 by MultimediaMan.)
(2014-01-15 05:09)rrc4039 Wrote:  Thanks!! it worked in a virtual environment. Now the problem is that when trying to run the ipxe script on a machine (Gigabyte motherboard with dual realtek nic) it disconnects the iscsi lun (sanhook) after some time before installing an OS (ESXi) . Is there something that I need to change in the bios? legacy options? etc

Can you describe exactly what is occuring? Screenshots? You should know that most, if not all Realtek NICs are not supported in ESX/ESXi without some bespoke hacks.

"Thus far, you have been adrift within the sheltered harbor of my patience..."

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)