Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPXE broken with B75M-GL / rtl8111e?
2014-02-01, 13:35
iPXE broken with B75M-GL / rtl8111e?
I'm attempting to run iPXE on a B75M-GL board (ASRock). It uses the Realtek 8111E adapter.

I get the "iPXE Initializing devices" then the machine reboots.

I have tried each loading undionly.kpxe, ipxe.pxe, and rtl8168.pxe over tftp and off USB. Everything does the same thing, it gets to initializing devices then reboots. I tried both with the legacy net-boot and UEFI net-boot with the same results.

Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-02-11, 09:26
RE: iPXE broken with B75M-GL / rtl8111e?
If you're chainloading you should be using one of those files you mention above. If you're booting off USB you should be using ipxe.usb (or realtek.usb). Are you sure you're using the latest version of iPXE built using the method mentioned on http://ipxe.org/download ? If you build with DEBUG=realtek and send a screenshot/photo of the error then we might be able to debug things more. If it happens too fast then you might need to enable serial debugging to figure out what debug details are output.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-02-11, 14:23
Sorry, it took so long for my post to show up that I forgot I posted. Smile

It turns out that it's the motherboard BIOS that is not working correctly. If I connect a hard drive (even with the SATA controller disabled) then it no longer spontaneously reboots and I can boot diskless. I have contacted ASRock and they are suppose to look at it though I don't have much hope but who knows.

iPXE is otherwise working great, thanks!
Find all posts by this user
2014-02-14, 10:19
Sorry about that. Just volunteers here, and sometimes it takes a while for us to moderate first posts. Glad it's working out for you!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)