Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPXE, wimboot, UEFI, secure boot, oh my!
2014-04-02, 22:06
iPXE, wimboot, UEFI, secure boot, oh my!
So after getting iPXE and wimboot successfully working with Win 7 deploys, I'm told that's yesterday's news.

They are now asking when UEFI and Secure Boot can be supported? I've searched threw the forums here, and I see statements that UEFI support is in the works, but no real time line as to when that might happen.

Is there a planned time line? I know this is open source software and things get done as the project maintainers have time, I'm just looking for a wag...6 months? 12? 18? 24?

Of course the big question mark hanging over our heads is Secure Boot. Is booting Windows 8 via PXE in Secure Boot mode even going to be possible by Open Source developers?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-04-03, 16:01
RE: iPXE, wimboot, UEFI, secure boot, oh my!
(2014-04-02 22:06)VirtualNobody Wrote:  They are now asking when UEFI and Secure Boot can be supported? I've searched threw the forums here, and I see statements that UEFI support is in the works, but no real time line as to when that might happen.

Is there a planned time line? I know this is open source software and things get done as the project maintainers have time, I'm just looking for a wag...6 months? 12? 18? 24?

Less than six months.

Quote:Of course the big question mark hanging over our heads is Secure Boot. Is booting Windows 8 via PXE in Secure Boot mode even going to be possible by Open Source developers?

I do have a code signing cert and Microsoft did sign some iPXE UEFI binaries last year. The process seems to be extremely slow, and I haven't yet investigated speeding it up to the point of being useful.

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)