Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ipxe within BIOS option ROM issue
2014-05-07, 20:35
ipxe within BIOS option ROM issue
Hello there,

I am hoping someone call help with this slight issue with migrating away from GPXE to IPXE.

I have embedded an GPXE ROM into my BIOS and I have everything working, booting etc and when I started playing with some other tools I became aware that the GPXE branch was not really being maintained as well as IPXE so I decided to move to IPXE as the tools recommend this

However that is where the issue is - while I can get GPXE to work in this board I cant get IPXE to work

I am editing my motherboard bios and inserting the IPXE rom file for a 10EC:8168 network card and upon boot I get a message

"No enough space to copy PCI option ROM"

I can only assume that the ROM size is an issue as the generated ROM file is 70K where as the GPXE file is 62K - I assume these are compressed sizes as upon running the realtek utility RSET8168 it states that the flash on the NIC is 128K

Can anyone advise how the ROM size can be reduced - I am using the rom-o-matic.eu to generate the ROM as I am not that great at compiling stuff

It is a standard ROM that is being generated with just three lines for setting variables for booting for iSCSI

Any advice or help would be appreciated

Cheers
Life-O-Reilly
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-05-14, 13:05
RE: ipxe within BIOS option ROM issue
(2014-05-07 20:35)lifeoreilly Wrote:  I am editing my motherboard bios and inserting the IPXE rom file for a 10EC:8168 network card and upon boot I get a message

I can only assume that the ROM size is an issue as the generated ROM file is 70K where as the GPXE file is 62K - I assume these are compressed sizes as upon running the realtek utility RSET8168 it states that the flash on the NIC is 128K

Is there an option somewhere which allows you to control the ROM BAR size? It's possible that the chip has a 128KB flash attached but is currently configured to expose only a 64KB ROM BAR.

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-05-15, 11:18
RE: ipxe within BIOS option ROM issue
(2014-05-14 13:05)mcb30 Wrote:  
(2014-05-07 20:35)lifeoreilly Wrote:  I am editing my motherboard bios and inserting the IPXE rom file for a 10EC:8168 network card and upon boot I get a message

Is there an option somewhere which allows you to control the ROM BAR size? It's possible that the chip has a 128KB flash attached but is currently configured to expose only a 64KB ROM BAR.

Michael

There was very little config - I can only assume that due to being a dual NIC that it is dividing the memory between the two interfaces.

I managed to squeeze the rom size down to 64K by removing image types etc

cheers
lifeoreilly
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)