Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HP Proliant PXE WinPE boot black screen
2014-05-09, 13:30
HP Proliant PXE WinPE boot black screen
Hi,
I am new to this ipxe, facing issue with booting amd64 and x86 winpe from wimboot in HP Proliant hardware.

All the files are downloaded from PXE and boot command executes, after that I can see windows loading files.
amd64:
after that nothing comes up, only black screen.

x86:
blue screen errors saying "missing winload.exe"

Can you please help me.

environment:
ipxe + http + wimboot
Referred: http://ipxe.org/howto/winpe, http://ipxe.org/wimboot
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-05-17, 22:57
RE: HP Proliant PXE WinPE boot black screen
(2014-05-09 13:30)karthikeayan Wrote:  All the files are downloaded from PXE and boot command executes, after that I can see windows loading files.
amd64:
after that nothing comes up, only black screen.

Please try the latest version of wimboot (v1.0.5), which includes a change designed to improve the chances of bootmgr.exe displaying errors correctly.

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-05-22, 11:27
Hi Micheal,

We tried the latest wimboot(v1.0.5). Unfortunately the HP Proliant DL380p Gen8 Blade Server went to powered off state after iPXE booted using wimboot. After 3 days we tried the same with another server(same Gen8), again the server went to powered off state.
We doubt is it a problem with the latest wimboot.

Thanks.
2014-05-22, 16:06
(2014-05-22 11:27)karthikeayan Wrote:  We tried the latest wimboot(v1.0.5). Unfortunately the HP Proliant DL380p Gen8 Blade Server went to powered off state after iPXE booted using wimboot. After 3 days we tried the same with another server(same Gen8), again the server went to powered off state.
We doubt is it a problem with the latest wimboot.

Given that this is an HP system, the most likely explanation is a bug in the HP BIOS.

I don't think I'm likely to be able to fix this until someone provides me with access to a DL380p to test on.

Michael
2014-05-26, 11:00
Michael,

Could able to capture the serial port output of wimboot as a screenshot image to share with you. Couldnt able to upload as attachment either PNG , jpg or bmp.

Regards
2014-05-30, 16:19
I second the possibility of it being an HP BIOS issue. I have bl460c G8 servers, and updating to a newer BIOS solved my problem.
2014-06-16, 10:46
(2014-05-22 16:06)mcb30 Wrote:  I don't think I'm likely to be able to fix this until someone provides me with access to a DL380p to test on.

Michael

mcb30, I'll be glad to provide you a remote KVM if you wish. My DL380p isn't shipped yet (it will be available bit later), but I can give you SR1630HGP with the same issue if you like.
2014-06-16, 13:01
(2014-06-16 10:46)nip Wrote:  
(2014-05-22 16:06)mcb30 Wrote:  I don't think I'm likely to be able to fix this until someone provides me with access to a DL380p to test on.
mcb30, I'll be glad to provide you a remote KVM if you wish. My DL380p isn't shipped yet (it will be available bit later), but I can give you SR1630HGP with the same issue if you like.

Thanks! If you could set it up, that would be great. I'll need iLO access (KVM + serial + remote media) to the HP machine exhibiting the problem, and root access via ssh to a Linux machine on the same network which can act as the DHCP/TFTP/web server. Ideally these two machines should be on a private network segment, so that any testing I do doesn't risk interfering with your other machines.

If you're able to set all of this up, please e-mail the server details and login credentials to mcb30@ipxe.org.

Thanks again,

Michael
2014-06-27, 11:08
(2014-06-16 13:01)mcb30 Wrote:  
(2014-06-16 10:46)nip Wrote:  

Thanks! If you could set it up, that would be great. I'll need iLO access (KVM + serial + remote media) to the HP machine exhibiting the problem, and root access via ssh to a Linux machine on the same network which can act as the DHCP/TFTP/web server. Ideally these two machines should be on a private network segment, so that any testing I do doesn't risk interfering with your other machines.

If you're able to set all of this up, please e-mail the server details and login credentials to mcb30@ipxe.org.

Thanks again,

Michael

Sorry for delay, i've missed your answer notification.
I've sent you email with the everything you need.
2014-11-07, 11:36
Thank you for the remote access! I'm very sorry that I never got around to using it; I was too busy with other work at the time.

The underlying problem should now be fixed in wimboot v2.4.0; please let me know if it works for you.

Michael

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)