Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPXE boot iscsi Win 7 BSOD
2014-12-02, 12:02
iPXE boot iscsi Win 7 BSOD
Hi all,

I installed win7 64 bit on iscsi target success, but when install done and then reboot, It always hang at win logo then BSOD (0x7b).
Machine is Virtualbox, and I try boot on VMware, still got same result.
I also try don't use SATA controler but only IDE or SCSI, failed. I try disable LWF too.
My boot script:
#!ipxe
dhcp
set gateway 0.0.0.0
set keep-san 1
set initiator-iqn iqn.2014-09.com.ipxe:test
sanboot iscsi:192.168.1.101::::iqn.2013-09.com.iboot:win7

I have no idea for BSOD, can someone help me?
Thanks very much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-12-03, 17:04
RE: iPXE boot iscsi Win 7 BSOD
How did you install Windows to the iSCSI target? If you didn't use the instructions at http://ipxe.org/howto/winpe to do it, you might be missing some essential iSCSI-related boot services in your installed image.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-12-05, 03:17 (This post was last modified: 2014-12-05 03:17 by starskgb.)
(2014-12-03 17:04)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  How did you install Windows to the iSCSI target? If you didn't use the instructions at http://ipxe.org/howto/winpe to do it, you might be missing some essential iSCSI-related boot services in your installed image.

I use yours wimboot to boot and only copy /boot/, boot.wim(from Win7 install DVD) to tftp server, then add Win7 install DVD to virtualbox device but only boot from network.
Then I success install WIndows to iSCSI target.
install script:
Code:
#!ipxe
dhcp
set gateway 0.0.0.0
set keep-san 1
set initiator-iqn iqn.2014-04.com.ipxe:test
sanhook iscsi:192.168.1.101::::iqn.2013-09.com.iboot:win7
kernel wimboot
initrd boot/bootmgr bootmgr
initrd boot/bcd BCD
initrd boot/boot.sdi boot.sdi
initrd sources/boot.wim boot.wim
boot
Is anything wrong in my steps?
2014-12-06, 21:27
That looks right to me. You don't need the initrd line with bootmgr anymore, though, as of wimboot 2.4.0 (which is the highly recommended version to use).

If you use the Intel VNIC in VirtualBox the drivers for that network card should be on the default Win7 install media. If you use one of the other VNICs then you might have problems. I don't think the virt-io VNIC is supported by Windows 7 by default. 0x7B is INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, right?

I think you also need to set netX/gateway X.X.X.X, not set gateway X.X.X.X for it to be passed over to the iBFT correctly, and "set keep-san 1" is not needed anymore.

If none of this works you might have an issue with ACL on your iSCSI target, and Windows usually has another initiator-iqn setup by default which is preventing you from connecting. Try to do a packet trace and see where things stop. See http://ipxe.org/howto/pcap for details on how to do that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2015-03-02, 10:30
Hi, I have a similar issue... I am using iPXE to boot to iSCSI, all running on Hyper-V, with the iSCSI in a VM running on Server 2012 R2. Firstly, I should say... When I import the WIM into a standard VHD (not iSCSI), everything works well... For iSCSI, I have put the working image from a WIM file (Win 7 x86) into the iSCSI using a couple of process's...

1. Importing the working VHD using Powershell cmdlet "Import-IscsiVirtualDisk"
2. Booted to WinPE, and used ImageX to apply the WIM file into the iSCSI drive

Both give the same result of BSOD after the initial splash screen of Starting Windows appears...

Any idea's welcome

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)