Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem PXE booting from VM
2015-04-05, 14:35
Problem PXE booting from VM
Hi all, I am trying to use FOG to image machines on a LAN, but first I am practising on my own machine with VMs. I have followed the steps on "http://192.168.90.208/fog/management/index.php?node=about&sub=pxemenu" to install the FOG server. I have installed Oracle VM Virtual Box and I have loaded an Ubuntu Server virtual disk to the VM. I have set the system to boot from the network and I have set the network to use a bridged adaptor, however when I start up the VM it goes straight the Ubuntu login, seemingly missing the PXE boot from my FOG server altogether.

The connections between the FOG server and VM are there as I can successfully PING from the FOG client to the VM and from the VM to the FOG client

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2015-04-17, 20:25
RE: Problem PXE booting from VM
You might get better help from the FOG forum.

If you boot a (virtual) machine that have pxe enabled and no disk you should see the pxe boot asking for ip address from the dhcp server in the dhcp servers log - this is the first step to be sure the correct DHCP server is responding, and that it actually responds with the data needed to load a Network Boot Program.

The next step is to check the logs of the tftp server to see that the client have loaded the file etc.

Another alternative to see what is happens is to use tcpdump or wireshark to capture the network traffic.

Can you see the DHCP requests in the server logs?

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)