Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hook another iSCSI target before autoboot/scriptlet help?
2015-03-25, 08:44
Hook another iSCSI target before autoboot/scriptlet help?
Wondering if anyone can help with the scriptlet option, and/or tell me if there's a better way to do what I'm trying to do?

I'd like to hook more than just the target specified by "root-path" as a bios drive, to install multiple operating systems for a special purpose host. Keeping operating systems on separate targets instead of in partitions on the same target would enable me to snapshot OS images separately. I confirmed something like "sanhook --drive 0x81 iscsi:192.168.4.2::::iqn.2005-01.FQDNREDACTED:Rhy01" would work using the iPXE command line. I was planning on using GRUB on the 0x80 target to choose which OS to boot.

First I saw DHCP_ISCSI_SECONDARY_TARGET_IQN which looked promising but I could find no documentation on it and it didn't appear to be anything but a define in the source code.

Then I saw the scriptlet option which should presumably allow me to execute a "sanhook" command before an autoboot, but I cannot get it to actually do anything, including simply echo a string! "Ctrl-B", then "dhcp", then "config" shows me that it is in fact there as specified in my ISC-DHCPD config. "echo ${scriptlet}" at the iPXE prompt also shows it after pulling the DHCP lease.

Scriptlet does not seem to have any documentation (http://ipxe.org/cfg/scriptlet), and there are only a handful of posts here that even mention it. The best I can determine is that it's a string if iPXE commands no longer than 255 characters, with linebreaks specified by "\".

Here are the relevant snippets from my ISC DHCPD config file. Currently testing using a VMware ESXi test VM.

Code:
option ipxe.scriptlet code 81 = string;

host ipxetest {
  hardware ethernet 00:50:56:3f:99:99;
  fixed-address 192.168.4.67;
  option host-name "ipxetest";
  if exists user-class and option user-class = "iPXE" {
    filename "";
    option root-path "iscsi:192.168.4.2::::iqn.2005-01.FQDNREDACTED:Rhy00";
    option ipxe.keep-san 1;
    option routers none;
    option ipxe.scriptlet "echo Scriptlet Executed";
  } else {
    filename "/iPXE/undionly.kpxe";
    option routers none;
  }
}

Although the scriptlet option content can be confirmed via "config", if I don't interrupt the boot process, it just tries to boot from the "root-path" target without executing the echo command in the scriptlet:

Code:
iPXE 1.0.0+ (f557) -- Open Source Network Boot Firmware -- http://ipxe.org
Features: DNS HTTP iSCSI TFTP AoE ELF MBOOT PXE bzImage Menu PXEXT

net0: 00:50:56:3f:99:99 using undionly on UNDI-PCI02:00.0 (open)
  [Link:up, TX:0 TXE:0 RX:0 RXE:0]
Configuring (net0 00:50:56:3f:99:99)...... ok
net0: 192.168.4.67/255.255.255.0
Root path: iscsi:192.168.4.2::::iqn.2005-01.FQDNREDACTED:Rhy00
Registered SAN device 0x80
Booting from SAN device 0x80

I'm running a freshly downloaded copy of undionly.kpxe http://boot.ipxe.org/undionly.kpxe.

Another option is obviously to use an embedded script in a copy of undionly.kpxe customized for this host that would allow me to pick which "root-path" I want via a menu, but the scriptlet option seems simpler and should work?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-10-07, 09:37
RE: Hook another iSCSI target before autoboot/scriptlet help?
You'll need to use a custom ipxe script to do what you're after instead of doing everything directly in the DHCP server. If you want to snapshot I would recommend you boot the software you need to perform the snapshotting with an argument specifying the disk to use. A sanhook before you run said software should ensure it ends up in iBFT so your OS can fetch that info from memory after boot.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)