Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
iPXE undionly.kpxe Emulex 10GB random hang
2015-11-23, 18:09
iPXE undionly.kpxe Emulex 10GB random hang
Am experimenting with using undionly.kpxe (built from current sources) on various machines, and have an issue with an HP system with an Emulex 10GB NIC (xxx). Some of the time, it all works fine. Some of the time, however, the boot hangs at the iPXE "Press Ctrl-B for the iPXE command line" prompt, and never continues until I reset and try another cycle. Actually pressing Ctrl-B does nothing, no command line.

The card is a "07.00.0 Emulex Corporation OneConnect 10Gb NIC (be3) (rev 01)", "Emulex 10Gb UNDI, PXE-2.0 BIOS v4.0.493.0".

I can tell from Web server logs that in these cases, it never fetches the iPXE script, apparently hangs before that. Do see it getting an appropriate DHCP response.

Are there known issues with Emulex in current versions? Are there hints to debug these sorts of behaviors? Thanks in advance, please let me know if I can provide more detail.
-Alan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2015-11-25, 18:51
RE: iPXE undionly.kpxe Emulex 10GB random hang
Spent some time with debugging modes enabled on undionly.kpxe (and kkpxe as well). Unfortunately no debugging info is printed at all at the point where it hangs. It does print same debug info whether it works or hangs, it does print that it initialized the devices. But occasionally still hangs without info, and never un-hangs, at the control-b prompt.
2015-11-25, 21:33
Which debugging options have you tried so far?
2015-11-30, 17:18
(2015-11-25 21:33)SebastianRoth Wrote:  Which debugging options have you tried so far?

Sorry, just getting back to this post-holiday.
I'd compiled the whole with "make DEBUG=undionly:3,undinet:3,pxeparent:3" for both undionly.kpxe and .kkpxe as well, tried both through multiple reboot cycles.

Most times it all just works. Occasionally, however, it just hangs after passing device initialization, at the "control-B" prompt.
-Alan
2015-12-01, 16:08
I find 'DEBUG=device,pci,netdevice' pretty handy if you want to see what's going on while device initialisation is going on. Give it a shot.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)