Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
iPXE problems with iSCSI Boot and Windows
2016-08-28, 09:59
RE: iPXE problems with iSCSI Boot and Windows
(2016-08-22 19:36)scan80269 Wrote:  
(2016-08-13 02:55)scan80269 Wrote:  I just achieved a breakthrough in installing Win10 directly to iSCSI LUNs. I have posted some info on how this is done on the ComputerAudiophile.com site:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-mu...ndex3.html

I've been able to get clients to boot Win10 diskless since early this year, but only recently did I figure out how to do Win10 installations over-the-network into iSCSI LUNs. My previous attempts were plagued by either the dreaded "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" or the error "iSCSI deployment is disabled since no NICs referenced in the iBFT can be resolved to actual NT-visible devices" that blocks OS installation into the iSCSI LUN, but now I can install Win10 into iSCSI LUNs without going through physical hard disks or removable storage like USB flash drives.

I'd like to clarify that my success in installing Win10 directly into iSCSI virtual drive is limited to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition (Version 1607 "Redstone 1"). The same procedure continues to fail with Windows 10 Version 1511 ("Threshold 2") and Windows 10 RTM (build 10240).

It may also depend on whether the NIC in the system has inbox driver support by the OS. Apparently Win10 Anniversary Edition has improved inbox NIC support to enable over-the-network OS installation into iSCSI virtual drive.

Yes, I just wanted to confirm the same thing as you, Win10 Anniversary Edition has a better NIC support and I was able to install it, I had no success with all the previous version of Win10...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: iPXE problems with iSCSI Boot and Windows - Snowbird - 2016-08-28 09:59

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)