Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Can not boot RHEL 7.3 by using iPXE
2017-06-07, 23:18
RE: Can not boot RHEL 7.3 by using iPXE
Hi jjmakin,

My understanding is that you iPXE booted successfully and that the installation ran normally. Then on first reboot you got stuck at the grub prompt? That sounds like the system is unable to find the proper boot "info".

If you ended up in this thread, I assume you're booting UEFI native mode.

Did "autopart" create the "EFI" partition properly? If so, I suggest you try adding "--boot-drive=<boot device name>" to the "bootloader" kickstart line (that works for me using GPT formatted disk), ex.:

Code:
bootloader --location=mbr --boot-drive=sda

From the grub menu, you can also test this without re-installing by manually specifying the boot device...

Sounds like your 95% there: if you had made a mistake in the long process I posted, I doubt the server would have PXE booted and installed without reporting an issue.

Best,
Math.

(2017-06-01 12:19)jjmakin Wrote:  Thank you very much for posting this info.
I was very relieved to get anaconda running to completion, however on reboot my machine just dropped me into a grub shell and I can't determine if my kickstart file is bad or somehow I've made a mistake repeating the process above.
As a few months have passed I have used kernel 3.10.0-514.21.1.el7.x86_64
My kickstart options are to use autopart with lvm and my bootloader option is a very simple bootloader --location=mbr

(2016-12-20 07:12)mathp Wrote:  I found a way using the CentOS 7.3 kernel to make this work, but it's largely inspired by allenb CentOS 7 post : http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid...0#pid12480

Instead of using the ELRepo Kernel, I just went with the currently updated 7.3 kernel version:

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can not boot RHEL 7.3 by using iPXE - mathp - 2017-06-07 23:18

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)