Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPxE Win 10 Unattended Install
2017-03-29, 02:43
iPxE Win 10 Unattended Install
I am trying to figure out how to setup the Windows 10 CD to Install over the Network while additionally trying to use an unattend file to make it unattended.

I can make it work fine if I use a usb thumb drive on a regular computer

I have tried to make an iso that includes the autounattend.xml using Magic Iso and sanboot but the error i get is "Boot from SAN device 0x80 failed: Exec format error"

If I use the original Win 10 iso, sanboot works fine.

I have also tried to do it the other route in which I am not using an iso, but just loading in the actual files with a boot.php as follows:

#!ipxe

kernel wimboot
initrd bcd bcd
initrd boot.sdi boot.sdi
initrd boot.wim boot.wim
boot

The problem is somehow I have to also:

run the setup.exe
have an unattend xml present
have the install.wim accessible as it contains the majority of the data for the install.

Obviously I could try to use WDS, but I was curious to see if there was an alternative way
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-13, 13:20
RE: iPxE Win 10 Unattended Install
Hi burligaaron,

the way is much longer to get it running. The meanproblem is to trigger the unattend.xml.

my way is that i boot a customized WinPE which mounts the Windows installfiles as a share and run from there the setup.exe with a parameter.

I am using dnsmask as dhcpProxy and tftpserver and apache for image upload and samba for service the winfiles. It took days for me to find out what is a working setup.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)