Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sanhook appears to block internet.
2014-07-10, 03:52
Sanhook appears to block internet.
Hello,

I've followed the instructions for booting from WinPE as per the instructions at http://ipxe.org/howto/winpe using the ADK, and am able to boot into WinPE without any hassle.

Just to be clear, I'm running iPXE from within VirtualBox, which is configured as follows:

Quote:- 64-bit Processor
- Boot Order: Network.
- Sata Controller: 4 ports, 1 DVD port taken by my MSDN Windows 7 Installer.iso
-Network: Bridged Adapter

What I'm wanting to ultimately achieve is connect to my iSCSI target (created by WS2012), then boot into WinPE, connect to the windows share where my Windows installation is, and run setup.exe and then obviously install windows onto the iSCSI target.

As I say I'm able to boot into WinPE without any problems, and while booted into WinPE I can ping google.com and get replies, connect to the windows share and run setup.exe and start the Windows 7 setup, but obviously there is no iSCSI target that has been connected to, so no drives appear to install to.

I've used the iPXE builder at https://rom-o-matic.eu using the standard setting and the 'UNDI only' output format, along with the following embedded script:

Quote:#!ipxe
dhcp
chain http://192.168.0.2:8080/boot.iPXE

The 192.168.0.2 is my server, where I run the DHCP server and the web server. The 192.168.0.1 is the router (that is NOT running a DHCP server).

The boot.iPXE is the same as provided at the tutorial page:

cpuid --ext 29 && set arch amd64 || set arch x86
kernel wimboot
initrd ${arch}/media/bootmgr bootmgr
initrd ${arch}/media/Boot/BCD BCD
initrd ${arch}/media/Boot/Fonts/segmono_boot.ttf segmono_boot.ttf
initrd ${arch}/media/Boot/Fonts/segoe_slboot.ttf segoe_slboot.ttf
initrd ${arch}/media/Boot/Fonts/segoen_slboot.ttf segoen_slboot.ttf
initrd ${arch}/media/Boot/Fonts/wgl4_boot.ttf wgl4_boot.ttf
initrd ${arch}/media/Boot/boot.sdi boot.sdi
initrd ${arch}/media/sources/boot.wim boot.wim
boot

This gets me into WinPE no problem as I've already described. This is also where my problems start...

According to this page (http://ipxe.org/appnote/winpe_with_iscsi), WinPE already has the iSCSI initiator driver, just not the controller, and will connect to the iSCSI target if I specify one with sanhook. So, I change my boot.iPXE to the following:

set initiator-iqn VirtualBoxiPXE
sanhook iscsi:192.168.0.2::::iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:homeserver-windows7base-target
kernel wimboot
boot

[Image: DwQm6e8.jpg]

And iPXE continues to boot into WinPE, however once in WinPE, things seem to change. I'm not able to ping google.com and instead the output below and consequently, I'm not able to connect to the share on the server, yet the output for ipconfig indicates that I do have a connection:

[Image: WdrHjpG.png]

However, commenting out the line in boot.ipxe:

Quote:sanhook iscsi:192.168.0.2::::iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:homeserver-windows7base-target

And power cycling the VM, and allow it to go through the same procedure, I have no problems, but as previously stated, no iSCSI drive to install to.

So, why would sanhook be causing this network issue, and how can I resolve it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-07-10, 04:02
RE: Sanhook appears to block internet.
(2014-07-10 03:52)Icky Wrote:  So, why would sanhook be causing this network issue, and how can I resolve it?

When you pass a hooked iSCSI disk in to Windows, it will treat the IP configuration as static and will not issue its own DHCP request.

You seem to be using IP addresses rather than DNS names within iPXE. I'm going to guess that the problem is that you don't have a DNS server provided in response to iPXE's DHCP request. (You can check this using the command "show dns" immediately after "dhcp".)

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-07-10, 04:53 (This post was last modified: 2014-07-10 11:48 by Icky.)
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, the DNS servers (addresses provided by my ISP) are outputted with a DHCP request, and the 'show dns' after 'dhcp' does indeed list the first DNS address:

[Image: iZB5xF9.png]

However, I'm still unable to ping anything and get replies, nor am I able to connect to the SMB share on the server.

Also, despite the network issues, entering diskpart and listing the disks and vdisks does not list any disk, i.e. the expected iSCSI target that should have been dragged along from iPXE into WinPE...

Edit: Actually, sorry, just thought, even if WinPE considers the address static, how would that influence my ability to ping or connect to the SMB share (\\HomeServer\Shared)

Thanks.
2014-07-14, 00:34
Anybody?
2014-07-14, 03:32
It appears I am able to fix the above issues with the following:

set netX/gateway 192.168.0.2
sanhook iscsi:192.168.0.2::::iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:homeserver-windows7baseinstall-target
kernel wimboot
boot

Notice the addition of the first line (set netX/gateway 192.168.0.2)... Appears to fix the issue.
2014-07-14, 12:27
(2014-07-14 03:32)Icky Wrote:  Notice the addition of the first line (set netX/gateway 192.168.0.2)... Appears to fix the issue.

Glad you got it working. This sounds related to a known issue with the Windows iSCSI boot initiator: it will use the default gateway for communication with the iSCSI target even if the iSCSI target is on the same subnet. Since routers are often configured not to route packets back to the originating network, this would explain why you were unable to contact 192.168.0.2 from within Windows.

This doesn't totally match with all of the symptoms that you were seeing; in particular, it doesn't explain why you were unable to ping any outside addresses. Is it possible that your router was simply refusing to forward packets to the outside world?

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-07-14, 21:25
Well, I'm able to say exactly why I couldn't either, but I can't rule out the possibility that the router was doing something a bit strange that was causing the lack of outside contact, however this isn't something that has happened before. Although we aren't dealing with a quality router here, just a cable modem/router provided by my ISP.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)