Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't figure out to to boot to my SCCM Server
2017-01-25, 17:11
Can't figure out to to boot to my SCCM Server
I have 2 VMs on the same machine. One is a System Center Configuration Manager 2016 server that is configured to allow PXE requests and has a boot image ready to go on the distribution point. It also does DHCP and DNS, along with AD. Its FQDN is SCPROTO.tst

The second is just a test desktop VM with no OS installed. I boot directly to iPXE and can get an IP from the VM server. But I can't seem to figure out what command to use to get it to use pxe to boot to it.

Any suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-01-25, 18:42
RE: Can't figure out to to boot to my SCCM Server
normally when you boot ipxe it will perform autoboot, that is run dhcp and then chain to the filename provided by dhcp.

iPXE uses ipxe scripting and commands, the most used command to boot anything is chain : http://ipxe.org/cmd/chain there is lots of other commands as well that you can but in a script and chain to that script : http://ipxe.org/scripting

We will need some more information about what you want to boot to be able to help further

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-01-25, 21:51
(2017-01-25 18:42)NiKiZe Wrote:  normally when you boot ipxe it will perform autoboot, that is run dhcp and then chain to the filename provided by dhcp.

iPXE uses ipxe scripting and commands, the most used command to boot anything is chain : http://ipxe.org/cmd/chain there is lots of other commands as well that you can but in a script and chain to that script : http://ipxe.org/scripting

We will need some more information about what you want to boot to be able to help further

Thanks for the help! Here is a screenshot of what I get when I auto boot.
Screenshot
Its getting DHCP from my VM (10.0.2.15). But I don't know what 10.0.2.4 is because there is only 2 VM's on my host only network (SCCM and the client)
2017-01-25, 21:54
I think it is quite a descriptive message you got there "Permission Denied http://ipxe.org/0212603c" see that url for more information, explanations and suggestions.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
2017-01-25, 21:58
(2017-01-25 21:54)NiKiZe Wrote:  I think it is quite a descriptive message you got there "Permission Denied http://ipxe.org/0212603c" see that url for more information, explanations and suggestions.

I've already looked at that one and it really has no explanation. That seems to be the default response from iPXE if it can't find the file.
2017-01-25, 22:40
It is the message iPXE prints when your tftp server responds with opcode for TFTP_ERR_ACCESS_DENIED which mostly mean that the file is not globally readable, but it is an issue with your TFTP server so check the server logs.

The suggestion on the error page is very descriptive step-by-step things to check:
  • Check that you are attempting to download the correct file.
  • Check the permissions on the file you are trying to download.
  • Check that you can download the file using another TFTP client, such as tftp-hpa on Linux.
  • If you are using qemu's embedded TFTP server, try adding an extra leading slash to your filename (to work around a known qemu bug). For example, if your DHCP server is currently handing out

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
2017-01-26, 16:57
(2017-01-25 22:40)NiKiZe Wrote:  It is the message iPXE prints when your tftp server responds with opcode for TFTP_ERR_ACCESS_DENIED which mostly mean that the file is not globally readable, but it is an issue with your TFTP server so check the server logs.

The suggestion on the error page is very descriptive step-by-step things to check:
  • Check that you are attempting to download the correct file.
  • Check the permissions on the file you are trying to download.
  • Check that you can download the file using another TFTP client, such as tftp-hpa on Linux.
  • If you are using qemu's embedded TFTP server, try adding an extra leading slash to your filename (to work around a known qemu bug). For example, if your DHCP server is currently handing out
Thanks! My main concern is that 10.0.2.4 isn't my SCCM server. In fact, I'm not sure what that even is. Both the client and the server can ping it, but my server's address is 10.0.2.15, which the client receives DHCP from.

So in the end, I have no clue what Test.pxe is or where it is coming from.
2017-01-27, 02:15
(2017-01-26 16:57)Br1lliantJim Wrote:  Thanks! My main concern is that 10.0.2.4 isn't my SCCM server. In fact, I'm not sure what that even is. Both the client and the server can ping it, but my server's address is 10.0.2.15, which the client receives DHCP from.

My guess is that it is the hosting environments dhcp server, it might just respond to bootp requests which prevents you from seeing responses from that DHCP server in other dhcp clients. Are you sure the 2.4 IP isn't the host itself via a vbox IP?

How is iPXE loaded ? (based on the features i guess it is embeded ipxe isarom for virtualbox)
Since that rom is quite limited in size it might be hard to enable debug options, but you could always try to build with DEBUG=dhcp
otherwise test pressing ctrl-b to get iPXE shell, then run dhcp followed by config and let's hope it gets you more information about the configuration, or atleast you should be able to use that way to then load another ipxe binary with dhcp debugging enabled.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
2017-01-27, 16:04
(2017-01-27 02:15)NiKiZe Wrote:  
(2017-01-26 16:57)Br1lliantJim Wrote:  Thanks! My main concern is that 10.0.2.4 isn't my SCCM server. In fact, I'm not sure what that even is. Both the client and the server can ping it, but my server's address is 10.0.2.15, which the client receives DHCP from.

My guess is that it is the hosting environments dhcp server, it might just respond to bootp requests which prevents you from seeing responses from that DHCP server in other dhcp clients. Are you sure the 2.4 IP isn't the host itself via a vbox IP?

How is iPXE loaded ? (based on the features i guess it is embeded ipxe isarom for virtualbox)
Since that rom is quite limited in size it might be hard to enable debug options, but you could always try to build with DEBUG=dhcp
otherwise test pressing ctrl-b to get iPXE shell, then run dhcp followed by config and let's hope it gets you more information about the configuration, or atleast you should be able to use that way to then load another ipxe binary with dhcp debugging enabled.
I boot from an iPXE disk I made. Oddly enough, when I changed my server's address to 2.25, my client still references 2.15. I'm beginning to think they aren't actually connected at all.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)