Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to access the remaining space on iPXE CD/floppy images
2011-11-10, 18:52
How to access the remaining space on iPXE CD/floppy images
Hello All,

I am thinking to first compile "ipxe.iso" or "ipxe.dsk" images and, before writing the images into CD/Floppy, edit "ipxe.iso" or "ipxe.dsk" to add additional files such as a boot script file. I believe this can be done by using an ISO editor. The question is, how can iPXE access these files through command line or embedded script? Thanks!

Hsuanyeh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-11-11, 09:39
RE: How to access the remaining space on iPXE CD/floppy images
What kind of file is this "boot script file"? Is it an iPXE script, or some kind of binary? Since you mentioned "access from embedded script", I'm guessing that you might be referring to a binary of some sort. Maybe you should step back and try to explain a bit more what you're trying to do.

If you just want to put something extra on the disks, I believe you can alter the ISO build method inside the makefile to bundle up your files during the ISO creation step. But I don't know how they would be made available to the booting iPXE instance.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-11-11, 18:01
Originally, I was thinking about putting a default boot script (such as boot.php) containing iPXE scripts, in case that the boot script cannot be chained over the Internet. Maybe I should do a fallback option in the embedded script which could essentially achieve the same result.
2011-11-12, 01:53
(2011-11-11 18:01)hsuanyeh Wrote:  Originally, I was thinking about putting a default boot script (such as boot.php) containing iPXE scripts, in case that the boot script cannot be chained over the Internet. Maybe I should do a fallback option in the embedded script which could essentially achieve the same result.

As of a few minutes ago, you now can place an iPXE script as a file within the .iso. Anything that loads ipxe.lkrn (which includes the .iso image) can pass in an "initrd" to iPXE, which will be treated like an embedded image.

Only works for .lkrn images at the moment; no other iPXE format has a concept of an "initrd" that can be (ab)used in this way.

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-12-29, 15:08
Is there a concrete example of how this works with isolinux.cfg on the iso? nothing I've tried works.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)