Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPXE.EFI chainloading an ISO File
2018-09-13, 17:39
iPXE.EFI chainloading an ISO File
Hello - I have been struggling for around 2 weeks now with getting an ISO (arch Linux image) to load via PXE.

My setup is WDS running on WS2016 I have configured the DHCP to hand out the iPXE.efi file and a boot.ipxe file to give me access to a menu system. I am also using Wimboot which loads a PE environment using a WIM file.

The issue comes when trying to chainload an ISO image. while it works perfectly in legacy mode with the unidonly.kxpe it refuses to work with EFI. I have also tried to load the individual efi and img files which are inside the ISO image however I can only get it to boot so far before it fails. these ISO's are also changing on every new version (Blancco) so ideally I could do with loading it from the ISO for quicker replacement.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ben
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-09-13, 19:52
RE: iPXE.EFI chainloading an ISO File
(2018-09-13 17:39)BenXvisual Wrote:  The issue comes when trying to chainload an ISO image. while it works perfectly in legacy mode with the unidonly.kxpe it refuses to work with EFI. I have also tried to load the individual efi and img files which are inside the ISO image however I can only get it to boot so far before it fails. these ISO's are also changing on every new version (Blancco) so ideally I could do with loading it from the ISO for quicker replacement.

Booting from ISO - don't!
As are explained in multiple threads on this forum over and over again ...
When you do this the booted OS will (with few exceptions) not be able to find the contents, even if the bootloader on the ISO will be able to run. One such thread: http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=9314

What is Blancco, as in what is the OS?
And if you extract the files from the ISO to boot it (assuming this is Linux, or windows based) what is the actual issues you are getting?

Does the ISO itself have EFI compatible boot files?

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)