Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
architecture getting confused - wds chainloading
2013-04-26, 16:43
architecture getting confused - wds chainloading
Hi There,

firstly just to say i'm havnig a great time with this so far!

my current environment is a mash up of pxelinux chainloading wds pxeboot.com which then returns boot images that are suitable for my architecture. (x86 & x64)

the thing I have noticed when I chainload undionly.kpxe -> pxelinux -> wds is that wds only returns boot images for x86 rather than the usual x86 & x64 boot images.

has anybody seen this happen before?

Muzz
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-04-26, 17:49
RE: architecture getting confused - wds chainloading
It could be a possibility that iPXE or PXELinux does something that confuses WDS, but it seems unlikely. Maybe some of the more technical people on IRC might be able to help you figure out what's going on.

I would recommend using http://ipxe.org/howto/winpe instead of the stock TFTP WDS setup for booting Windows PE, it is much faster.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-05-01, 15:15
(2013-04-26 17:49)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  It could be a possibility that iPXE or PXELinux does something that confuses WDS, but it seems unlikely. Maybe some of the more technical people on IRC might be able to help you figure out what's going on.

I would recommend using http://ipxe.org/howto/winpe instead of the stock TFTP WDS setup for booting Windows PE, it is much faster.

Hi There,

Thanks for taking a look at this. Yeah it is a bit odd that wds only returns x86 boot images. I can post up the tftp logs if there is any interest on the forums, but quite happy to have a chat on irc.

I had conetmplated a bit of a cumbersome workaround. do an initial pxelinux with chooser for wds or everything-else. this will allow wds to carry on as usual. everything-else can then chain undionly.kpxe and based on the dhcp user class, return another pxelinux with the non-wds boot images.

Thanks for the winpe link - to be fair wds is not doing an awful lot (pretty much only tftp and booting up wim images) so this may be just the ticket!

Muzz
2013-05-02, 21:51
you didn't say how you are chaining to wds. are you booting to wdsnbp.com or startrom.n12/com?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-05-06, 13:47
I do an cpu check in my installer.ipxe

:wds-local
cpuid --ext 29 && set arch x64 || set arch x86
set wdsserver:ipv4 192.168.53.15
set net0/next-server ${wdsserver}
chain tftp://${wdsserver}/Boot\\${arch}\\wdsnbp.com || goto failed
goto start
2013-05-13, 16:13
Hi There,

Sorry about the delay responding - ive got to sort out my subscription emails!

I was booting to wdsnbp.com and wds was configured to serve up undionly.kpxe as the boot program using wdsutil /set-server /bootprogram & /n12bootprogram

(2013-05-02 21:51)skyman Wrote:  you didn't say how you are chaining to wds. are you booting to wdsnbp.com or startrom.n12/com?
2016-05-16, 17:44
(2013-05-13 16:13)muzz Wrote:  Hi There,

Sorry about the delay responding - ive got to sort out my subscription emails!

I was booting to wdsnbp.com and wds was configured to serve up undionly.kpxe as the boot program using wdsutil /set-server /bootprogram & /n12bootprogram

(2013-05-02 21:51)skyman Wrote:  you didn't say how you are chaining to wds. are you booting to wdsnbp.com or startrom.n12/com?

I am having the same exact issue you were having, can anyone give me a hint on how to solve this problem?
2016-05-16, 17:46
i am having the same exact problem, can anyone provide me a hint on how to approach this problem?
2016-06-08, 18:20
No one wants to help??
2016-06-08, 19:18
(2016-06-08 18:20)rabih9780 Wrote:  No one wants to help??

ArnieLovius posted a GREAT workaround for this above your posts.

"Thus far, you have been adrift within the sheltered harbor of my patience..."

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)